Wednesday, 12 July 2017

D. J. Doyle -- Horror Author



Today we have an interview with the amazing horror / thriller writer D.J.Doyle. In it, we find out what process she follows and how she has evolved since the publication of her first book. 

HOW MUCH RESEARCH DO YOU DO FOR EACH BOOK?
For most of what I've written and what's in store, I've been researching these my whole life. I've visited all heritage sites that my Celtic Curse stories are all based around. Also, the Banshee, Paganism and the Puca, again are all topics I've read about for years. To be able to create an enjoyable story, with that knowledge, is amazing.
HAVE YOU WRITTEN ANY OTHER NOVELS IN COLLABORATION WITH ANY OTHER WRITERS? 
Not yet, but I think it's on the cards. One with 2 amazing authors about different timelines focusing on one item. Another could be one of those authors and write a hormance or rorror hahahaha
HOW DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE EVOLVED CREATIVELY SINCE YOU PUBLISHED YOUR FIRST NOVEL?
A lot. I had no idea what I was doing when I started and finished TCC: Banshee, I just wanted to tell a story. I didn't know about self-publishing, the different types of editing, editing tools, marketing.... I could go on... I might as well say everything! Now, I know more and confident in the process, I feel what I put out there is hopefully more marketable and I'm able to promote better. We'll see.
WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING YOU FIND ABOUT THE WRITING PROCESS?
Editing for one, I could read many others and make suggestions and spot errors but when it comes to my own, I can't do the same. I can't see the wood for the trees, I'm too close to the story. The other part would be marketing, I'm full of ideas and knowledge, but it takes time and effort, something I seem to lack at the moment.
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT WRITING YOUR LATEST BOOK?
As a horror/thriller writer, what's easy about any of my books? LOL. I'm currently writing a novel and novelette. The novelette is from the perspective of a serial killer and what drives him. It's extremely difficult to 'be' inside someone's head never mind it being the mind of a murderer. And my novel, well I don't want to give anything away but with loads of murders, sex and kidnapping, it wasn't easy.
HOW LONG ON AVERAGE DOES IT TAKE YOU TO WRITE A BOOK?
My first took years with many gaps of not writing so it was my own fault. I still take more than I should but as I work full-time it is a part-time job. What I've learned to do is use the short breaks I have to write short stories. Also, Campnano is helping tremendously with word count. I push myself, probably too much, and will typically have a completed goal at the end, whether it's a first draft or a short. 
FOR YOUR OWN READING, DO YOU PREFER EBOOKS OR TRADITIONAL PAPER/HARDBACKS?
I used to prefer paperback but ebooks are great because the storage is virtual (I can't fit any more books into my house yet) and less expensive. I still buy paperback from charity shops when I see a good deal. I recently bought Dracula, Jaws, Slugs and a few more horrors that I've read in the past from the library but wanted my own copy.
WHAT DO YOU DO TO GET BOOK REVIEWS?
Facebook has numerous groups that provide honest reviews, I tend to get a lot from them. I have also contacted a number of horror reviewers and have asked them for it. Goodreads is also a great tool that I think is underrated. Although FB is great, the groups all contain authors, so Goodreads is great because it has the readers. I know authors are readers too, but having a true reader's review is best in my opinion. 
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON GOOD/BAD REVIEWS?
When you receive your first 'critical' review, it does knock you a bit. Then I read that these are important for authors along with the good and great reviews. It shows that the book has not only been read by friends and family and it is also the first reviews readers go to on Amazon.
SINCE WE LAST SPOKE YOU RAN A  GOODREADS BOOK GIVEAWAY, HOW DID THAT GO? WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT?
I think it went okay. I made a few minor errors that I wouldn't do again and yes, I will do it again. The giveaway has added multiple 'to-read's for my book which will take time but good to have them. I recommend to do it globally and to give away one 2 or 3 copies.  
DO YOU THINK GIVING BOOKS AWAY FREE WORKS AND WHY?
As I only had one book out, I think the exposure is good. There can be downfalls but I think it's worth the risk with the recommendations above. 
IF YOU COULD HAVE BEEN THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR OF ANY BOOK, WHAT WOULD IT HAVE BEEN AND WHY?
Ohhh.. what a question! Probably Lord of the Rings. What an imagination and with such originality, depth, amazing characters, and an ending to die for... need I say more? 
WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE ASPIRING WRITERS?
Never give up, find a great editor, and don't feel embarrassed asking for help and support. In my opinion, Indie authors are the best at supporting one another as they know how difficult the process can be.
      

If you want to find out more about D. J. Doyle you can click HERE for her website, and HERE to go to her Facebook page. You can also find her HERE on Goodreads as well as HERE on Twitter. 

Happy stalking guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEWS FOR FOREST OF ANCESTORS

GOODREADS -- ADD ME!

Forest of Ancestors (The Guardians #1)