Monday, 1 May 2017

* * * * LISA V. PROULX * * * *


What genre are your books?
I began my writing career writing horror then after losing my mother, my whole life changed. I no longer wanted to scare people but comfort them and make them better. I started writing non-fiction and inspirational stories, however, there are a few scary ones I am working on. The horror genre will always be my first love.

What draws you to this genre?
As for horror, I grew up watching the old classics-Dracula, Frankenstein, The Werewolf, and it thrilled me. I began writing non-fiction after my mom passed away and I don’t really think an author can choose what genre they write in. I think the genre chooses them.

Do you write full-time or part-time?
Aside from being an author, I have been a feature writer and columnist for my local newspaper, The Brunswick Citizen, for over 16 years. It keeps me busy but I have a lot of free time to work on my books.

Do you aim for a set number of words/pages per day?

I read once that Stephen King suggests writing at least an hour a day. It can’t be 59 minutes, it must be a full hour. I do try to stick to that, however, there are days when I just don’t feel like writing so I don’t.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just to see where an idea takes you?
I am one of those writers who feel the characters do the writing. I am just their messenger. I have never once written out a plot or an outline. I just write and let the story go where it needs to go.

If this book is part of a series, tell us a little about it?
I have 11 books out and my bestseller is WEEDMONKEY. It has been in the Top 100 Memoirs on Amazon US in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. My mother began writing this book when I was a little girl. It is the true story of her life growing up in coal mining camps throughout Appalachia during the Depression. She was shunned and ridiculed for being the daughter of the town whore, a weedmonkey.

How are you publishing this book and why?
(*e.g. Indie, traditional or both)
My first book, a vampire novel, PUNCTURE, was published through a “traditional” publisher, however, I was not happy with them. I got turned on to CreateSpace and now all my books go through them. Finding them really opened up a whole new writing world for me.

What would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing against being published or the other way around?
I like to have control over my royalties, my covers, my words, etc. I am not knocking a traditional publisher, however being an Indie works for me.

When doing book signings as an Indie, it can be a challenge in some locations since many large booksellers do not want to take the chance on an Indie and their books. 

I would like to find a literary agent though. 

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years’ time?
My goal is to reach the New York Times Bestseller list with WEEDMONKEY! I see myself still writing and making a difference in the world and healing as many people with my words as I can. My other dream is to be an Inspirational Speaker.

How can readers discover more about you and you work?

Website: www.lisavproulx.com
Blog: https://lisavproulx.wordpress.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorLisaVProulx/
Twitter: @LisaVProulx
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lisavproulx/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/lisavproulx/
Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Lisa-V.-Proulx/e/B005UFKO5Q/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1
Book Links: (* American, UK, etc.) My bestseller Weedmonkey on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYWG898 My other books can be found on there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment