Thursday, 9 March 2017

* * * * LORI THOMPSON * * * *





What genre are your books? Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Time Travel, Mystery, Paranormal. These are all the things I love to read about, so I used all the elements I love in my own writing.

What draws you to this genre? It contains all the things I love to read about. I love the idea of time travel and anything paranormal or fantasy.

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something? I am a runner and the idea for the book came to me while I was training for a marathon. The more I ran the more the idea for the book evolved. The characters came to life and demanded I write their story so finally I gave in to them and wrote the book.

Do you write full-time or part-time? I write part-time. I would love to do it full-time, maybe one day.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured? I like to write in the morning, I’m most productive then. After working all day I’m too tired to focus on writing. I generally spend the weekends writing.

Do you aim for a set number of words/pages per day? No, I just write until the ideas run dry. I can usually focus for 6 to 8 hours at a time on the weekend. The number of words vary depending on how well the ideas are flowing.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you? I do some of both. I don’t write a full outline. Once I have the major plot points in each act I just start writing and see where the ideas take me.

If this book is part of a series, tell us a little about it? This book is the first in a series. I have the next two already planned. Julia is a very independent, strong willed person. She can see visions of the future and has a genetic anomaly that allows her to time travel. In the first book she has to travel back to Savannah 1862 during the Civil War and stop her Great Uncle, who has been seduced by evil, from committing crimes in the past that make him more wealthy and powerful in the future.

In the second book Julia makes a choice to return to the past to be with Reave, the man she loves, and a time where she finally feels she belongs and can make the most difference. Many unexpected things await her and she discovers new and powerful abilities. She is forced to face hate and superstition in order to save 2 young girls.

In the 3rd book she and Reave are front and center when Sherman marches to the South and occupies Savannah. They become spies for the Union in an attempt to end the war early spare the South from utter destruction.
I have not planned any further books for this series yet.


How are you publishing this book and why? After researching both I chose to independently publish in order to have more control of my book, and retain the rights to my story and characters.
(*e.g. Indie, traditional or both)

What would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing against being published or the other way around? The learning curve!! I am a nurse practitioner by trade and writing and publishing is a whole new world. I find marketing being the most challenging. There is just so much I have to learn.

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years’ time? The author of at least 3 books with a successful following (I hope).

If you want to find out more about Lori you can visit her WEBSITE, FACEBOOK, TWITTER and GOODREADS and if you wish to purchase her book simply click the link in the Amazon link above (UK site) or HERE (US site).

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEWS FOR FOREST OF ANCESTORS

GOODREADS -- ADD ME!

Forest of Ancestors (The Guardians #1)