Monday, 13 March 2017

* * * * GABRIELA VOELSKE * * * *





Which writers inspire you?  My inspiration always varies, but two solid figures there are R. A. Salvatore and Martha Wells. They both create such vivid stories, with rich characters and lush worlds. Salvatore also strikes a good balance between telling you too much and saying too little, allowing those that have never touched Dungeons and Dragons before to pick up his books with ease. That balance is especially important in Fantasy as your audience needs to know what’s going on, but you need to avoid boring them with excessive information.

What genre are your books?  I write Fantasy books, with my preference being high Fantasy, although I dabble in other genres in my mind and short stories.

What draws you to this genre?  I enjoy the freedom that comes with Fantasy. Dragons have always been a favourite of mine and obviously, they don’t exist (sadly!). I do, however, try my best to ensure that my Fantasy is logical to ensure I’m not explaining things as “magic” unless magic was the actual cause and the why magic was the cause.

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something?  I always had the world of Fyir floating around in my head, but aside from doodles and daydreams, I had never done anything with it. I decided to try and role-play it on a game site I was on, where I found someone who really enjoyed the world and story I put to them. That gave me the confidence to start Crystalline Chaos, and now I’ve written my second book (and prequel to C. Chaos) Dangerous Times.

Do you write full-time or part-time?  I currently write part-time, but if the opportunity presented itself I’d love to become a full-time writer.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?  I usually write in my spare time between lectures or while driving somewhere (as a passenger). Otherwise, I tend to write when I’m feeling inspired.

Do you aim for a set number of words/pages per day?  When I’m in the actual stage of writing, I like to aim for 500 words a day, although I can find myself writing a lot more. Sometimes instead of writing, I’ll take the time to sit and think out a scene if I’m having issues with it.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
For Crystalline Chaos I didn’t use an outline aside from a rough one in my head, but Dangerous Times I wrote out a full plan that ended up around ~6800 words of outline. I allow myself to deviate from the outline if I feel it adds to the story, but the core events remain the same regardless.

If this book is part of a series, tell us a little about it?  Crystalline Chaos is the first book in the Skies of Fyir series, with Dangerous Times being a prequel and The Northern Bloodline being the second book in the series. Fyir is rife with discrimination, due to its turbulent past which saw the angels viciously slander their once neighbors, the demons in a move to gain favor with the humans. Betrayed by their former friends, the demons went to war with the angels and created a permanent rift between the two races. Crystalline Chaos introduces to the world and the races of Fyir, set on the small continent of the Central Isles. The first book introduces an unknown threat which forces the three races to reconsider their past animosities if they’re capable of such a thing. The repercussions of the first book will be the start of a series of events, which is continued in the second book.

Dangerous Times, the prequel, focuses on the events of 25 years prior, back when Nathaniel was still the ruler of the demons. The height of his depravity is laid bare, detailing the events that are referenced in Crystalline Chaos.


What book/s are you reading at present?  Your own book, The Guardians: Forest of Ancestors! Well, I need to start it, I was about to when life decided to pull the rug out from under me again. I’m looking forward to it, though. (ooooh nervous now lol, I do look forward to your thoughts!)

Tell us about the cover/s and how it/they came about.  Crystalline Chaos’s cover features one of the mysterious creatures that appears in the book, the Globeholder (snake-like creature). As per its name, it’s holding onto a globe which pulses which aether, towering above jagged crystals of solidified chaos aether. In the background, there’s a corrupted aether storm. It basically showcases some of the features of the book, in a nice Fantasy package. I trialed many different designs, but this is the one that I settled on in the end.

Dangerous Times shows a dark, barely lit background that lies behind a pair of red-tinged hands that are aggressively encompassing a flame. The hands are Nathaniel’s, the tyrant King’s and the flame represents Amnur, his unfortunate and trapped Court Mage. I wanted the image to show the control Nathaniel has over Amnur, so I went for the close, entombing hands. I like to think it has that effect!

How are you publishing this book and why? (*e.g. Indie, traditional or both)
Crystalline Chaos was indie published, and at the moment, I intend to do the same with Dangerous Times when it’s ready. I enjoy the freedom that comes with self-publishing, as I fear a traditional publisher may try and force certain things into my novels that I have no intention to add.

What would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing against being published or the other way around?  The main advantages are the freedom and the lack of agent/publisher rejections, but the self-promoting can be exhausting. I do, however, understand that not all traditional publishers heavily advertise you, so that may be more of a general issue. 

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years’ time?  While I would love to be earning enough to not have to work, I am realistic and know that may not be the case. A more realistic goal would be to get at least one book fully published each year, as I’ve been failing that at the moment. Life sucks sometimes. One thing that would be really awesome would be to hear from fans about how they enjoy my books, the result of the work of building a fan base now.

How can readers discover more about you and you work?  Blogs, Twitter etc. will come along eventually, my internet is too slow to maintain them at the moment.

Here are a few place that you can find out more about Gabriela and her work, WEBSITE, FACEBOOK, AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE, SMASHWORDS and GOODREADS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEWS FOR FOREST OF ANCESTORS

GOODREADS -- ADD ME!

Forest of Ancestors (The Guardians #1)