Monday, 6 March 2017

* * * * AUTHOR INTERVIEW - CHRIS RUSH - HORROR * * * *



What genre are your books? Horror/Supernatural.

What draws you to this genre? I have always had a love for horror as long as I can remember. I love how sounds, imagines and even words can haunt an individual long after they have finished reading a book or watching a movie. My self personally, I strive to break the rules, I want to incorporate the elements of an average person’s everyday life in my work and make them horrifying, to make the reader say to themselves – “That actually happens to me.”

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something? It all began when I finished my degree in college back in 2013, being a huge fan of horror I decided to take the plunge and wrote a horror screenplay entitled Folklore, which I then converted to a book and I’m delighted to say it became a best seller.

Do you write full-time or part-time? I write part-time, however I would love to make a career out of my writing, as I have so many crazy ideas in my head, dying to get onto paper.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured? With my first two books, I wrote mainly in the evening. I like having the feet up and the laptop in front of me and the TV on in the background, some may not like distraction, however I don’t see it as that. I see casting your eyes towards the TV as a form of thought processing, instead of staring blankly at a computer screen.

Do you aim for a set number of words/pages per day? Usually I won’t be happy unless I get at least two pages of work done, however mostly it goes far beyond that once I get into the zone. However some of the best advice I ever got from both my good writing friends Lisa V. Proulx and Ann O’ Regan is don’t just write for the sake of writing, if you feel your story lulling, walk away and come back to the keyboard once you have got your thoughts together again.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you? When beginning a new book I will always have the “general” arc of the story and the way it will play out. However while writing I like to see where the characters also take me, I have numerous drafts of my first two books and you would be so surprised how little details from one to the next have changed.

If this book is part of a series, tell us a little about it? My latest release All Shall Suffer is a standalone story. It centers around an elderly couple who have been ridiculed all their lives for been strange, mainly because the lady practices mediumship etc. where she can contact the dead. However unfortunately she comes into contact with a demonic force and inadvertently unleashes it into our world to wreak havoc. The reviews I have been getting on Amazon are unbelievable and I can’t thank the readers enough.  

What book/s are you reading at present? I’m currently reading a very interesting book by Chris McClintock, which gives an insight somewhat to the origin of Freemasonry. After this I am planning to read The Demonologist which is based on the career of Ed and Lorraine Warren.  

How are you publishing this book and why? (*e.g. Indie, traditional or both) I have self-published my first two books and the reason I took this route is because it allowed me to get my name out there and I have to say I’ve been privileged enough to have had numerous book signings in Ireland and also one in America – thanks to my friend Lisa and also Tina Barcoe – who helped me launch All Shall Suffer on its release day in Wicklow Gaol. I am actually returning to the States this month (March) for an All Shall Suffer book signing. 

What would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing against being published or the other way around? An advantage of self-publishing I suppose is that you are in control of everything, however it is a lot of work to promote yourself and get known in the writing world.

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years’ time? I would love to have a status across Ireland as being known as a good horror writer, and by that stage a published horror writer. For me it’s not about money, but rather achievement. I want people to pick up my work and say “That was very good!” or “Jesus that scared the hell out of me!” If I can do that, then I’ve already achieved what I set out to do in the first place.

If you want to find out more about Chris you can find him here on his WEBSITEFACEBOOK and TWITTER.


No comments:

Post a Comment