Sunday, 5 March 2017

* * * * AUTHOR INTERVIEW - CAROL MARSHALL * * * *




Which writers inspire you? 

A major inspiration for me was Darcey Steinke’s Suicide Blonde. The tone of that book, the rhythm of the characters made me sink into myself and realize the type of voice I wanted as a writer. Tom Perrotta’s The Leftover is what influenced The Women of the Grey series. I loved how The Leftovers had this supernatural event in the story, but that wasn’t what the book was about. The Leftovers was about the relationships and emotions of those left behind. I wanted that for my series, the science fiction and horror in the Women of the Grey series takes a back seat to the relationships these women have with humans, the rawness of their emotions.  After reading The Leftovers I knew what direction I wanted to take the Women of the Grey in. 

What genre are your books? 
My books are scifi/horror. Which turns some readers off, that label gives it a bad rap. I believe when you say horror people assume chainsaws, bloody guts or science fiction brings to mind the Alien face hugger thing. I’m none of that. My books do have science fiction and horror elements, but at my core I’m a wanna be sociologist that really likes character building. I want you to be the characters, hate them, love them, whatever but I want my characters to stick to you when you close the book. That’s my goal. 

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something?
I have written off and on since I have memory but I put it aside for many years while doing the college, work, marriage having baby’s thing.  At a particularly bad time in my life a friend of mine asked me “so what are you?” Take away the job, the hubby, the kids what was I? My answer to her was “a writer.” She then told me to go home and write. That weekend I took the idea of the Women of the Grey out of my head and started the series. 

Do you write full-time or part-time?
This year I have stopped working and am focusing on writing full-time.  I grind it out daily, in hopes of making a name for myself as an indie author. I have yet to see a dime of profit, but still have hope.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
WOW, this is going to sound scatterbrained, terrible, and unorganized but it works for me. I have an idea of the story, characters etc in my head, usually building for a year or so. When I get ready to write that story I sit down and just start writing not having a general direction. As the story unfolds I start notes on what will happen throughout the book. I keep a note at the end of the page that goes from page to page on what’s going to happen on the next chapter, after that chapter is written it gets deleted and new notes on the following chapter will happen. Once the book is written I send it to my editor, she has her way with it, then it comes back to me and if you can believe this I start reading it from the beginning adding, rewriting, correcting, from start to finish. After that it goes back to the editor for final check up’s. 

If this book is part of a series, tell us a little about it?
Starburst is book 1 in my Women of the Grey series. Red Drug book 2 will be released March 25th. 

How are you publishing this book and why?  (*e.g. Indie, traditional or both)
I started off as an indie that was looking to build a name for herself then query for an agent and publisher. I have since decided that I would be an indie. I have not queried for a long time. I hate querying, it’s awful to spend a day researching an agent or a publishing house, then spend another day sweating over a query letter, then you send it off and wait, wait, wait to see if you get an answer. I hated it so much I had to stop. I would much rather focus on building my name as an indie and focus on my craft. If an agent or publisher happens for me one day, then great if not then whatever. 

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years’ time?
I would like to have my Women of the Grey series completed, along with 3 independent novels. Hopefully by then I’ve built enough of a name for myself that I see a steady stream of sales where I am not having to nickel and dime myself to get my next book out.

How can readers discover more about you and you work?
My website caroljamesmarshall.com just went live on March 3rd, I plan to keep my blog on there busy with new posts. Also my Facebook Author Page is something I keep an eye on through the day. I invite readers to also check out my Scriggler page. I have been writing a memoir nonfiction series called Barflies about my years bartending in the middle of nowhere California.  

You can also find Carol on Smashwords, Twitter and Goodreads.




No comments:

Post a Comment