Thursday, 2 March 2017

*** Author D. J. Doyle Interview ***


D. J. Doyle published her debut novel The Celtic Curse: Banshee in October 2015 through Kindle and Amazon. From then she has been working on her second.  Below are a few questions I sent her via carrier pigeon and her answers give us insight into how she works and her next project.


What genre are your books? 
At the moment, I write Horror, Thriller and Paranormal. Many of the stories in my head are these but I do also have a drama, dystopian and comedy in my head. So I hope to get around to writing something out of my comfort zone.

Which writers inspire you? 
I have many writers that inspire me but for my love of horror and thriller, it has to be Stephen King. I am also a huge fan of Shakespeare, Stoker, Tolkien, Poe, Wilde, Austen (yes, Jane! I love her humour), and Hutson… these are all from my early years as a reader. Who inspires me now are all the Indie authors out there, doing what they do for the love of writing, no matter what publishers or agents tell them.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you? 
To me, my stories are like the body (here is the horror coming out in me lol), I know the skeleton before I even start. Just before I go to write a scene or chapter, these are the organs and muscles. Then when I’m typing, that’s when the arteries, veins, ligaments come in. I have not needed to outline yet, but I intend to start. If I get to my dystopian, I will have to outline as it spans across continents and a long timeline.

How are you publishing this book and why? (*e.g. Indie, traditional or both) 
Self-publish. When I started writing, I didn’t even know about self-publishing. I just wanted to tell a story and didn’t know what I was going to do with it afterwards. When it came closer the time, I did a bit of research and discovered I didn’t have to wait for an agent or publisher to take a year to go through their slush pile to tell me I may or may not be good enough.

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years’ time? 
I would like to have at least another 3 books released with maybe a few short stories or collection. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to become a full time writer and make money from it .. although that would be ideal, it won’t stop me from doing something I love…. and that is to tell a story.

If you want to learn more about D. J. Doyles work you can follow her on Facebook as well as Twitter, Goodreads and her new Website.

To Purchase her debut novel (which I highly recommend, it is a fantastic read with a compelling story and characters) then you can purchase here:  

No comments:

Post a Comment