Thursday, 9 June 2016

What's it like to self publish?

Well... I've been asked this a lot and the only words that fit are liberating, stressful and a learning curve.

There is a difference between being an indie author and being self published. 
An indie author is one that writes and with the aid of illustrators, editors (various types) and someone to format the file, they move forward and publish their work. This is great if you can (a) afford it and (b) relinquish control.
I could do neither of the above, so from the start I knew I would fall under the self published category.  Self published means you hold the controls to everything.  You design and format your book cover, you choose font and layout and format the file that is to be your books interior and you do all pertaining to your book all by yourself. 
I created the cover art myself and with the template from CreateSpace I made my cover to fit. Formatting the file was a little tricky but after a lot of blood, sweat, and tears (I'm not kidding about the tears lol) I finally mastered it. (At this stage I would like to point out that formatting and editing are two entirely seperate things.)  
Would I recommend this route to other authors?  Well, if you have time, a little tech know how and a LOT of patience then yes I would.  It is very fulfilling to know that when you receive that proof copy and hold it in your hands, you KNOW that it was you that accomplished it. 
One thing I will point out though... Know your craft. Don't think any old cover will do. Any old font, formatting will do because it won't. Covers are what catch the readers attention and if yours looks amateurish then I'm afraid they won't bother to read the blurb. Take books from your bookshelf and see how they have been layed out. Use those as templates. As for formatting, this too is particularly important, paragraphs, spacing, font and size are all key to a pleasant reading experience. Again, research what works and what doesn't. 

I really enjoyed the whole journey, from conception of the story to the birth of the book. Each hiccup along the way was a teaching aid and learning curve. 
Would I do it again for my next book? Quite simply... Yes! and being the ejit I am, I can't wait. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEWS FOR FOREST OF ANCESTORS

GOODREADS -- ADD ME!

Forest of Ancestors (The Guardians #1)